You should go for a run, take a yoga class, make a date with a fun friend. I've suggested all of these solutions at one point or another in a story for this women's magazine or that one. Unfortunately, you can't squeeze this sort of stuff in between meetings or in the middle of mediating a wresting match between two small people dressed in costumes.
And that's why, tonight, I painted my nails. Specifically, I painted them Essie's Chinchilly. Tomorrow, when I feel like a total trainwreck who has nothing at all under control, I can look at my fresh manicure and say, "damn, girl, you got your shit TOGETHER!" Instant boost.
And, now, allow me to introduce a list of seven more totally frivolous ways* to turn a shitty mood around, no physical activity required:
- Make a cup of coffee from the "fancy" "espresso" machine at work.
- Scroll through photos of people and things who/that amuse you (for me, it's often the two small people, perhaps in costumes, probably not wrestling).
- Read a few of Sara Goldstein's HILARIOUS Oddly Well Adjusted blog posts. (Today's entry, an oddly well-adjusted yoga teacher's perspective on the naked yoga "trend"—if one might call it that—is not to be missed.)
- Sneak a peek at Instagram. Be sure to follow my Wonder Twin's new arty Instagram @MyDailyBunny.
- Watch this video.
- Play this song.
- Text your sister. If you have one. And she's as cool as mine.
*Disclaimer: I am not trivializing any of the talent referenced in #s 3-6. Or the comedic therapy regularly administered by my superbly sarcastic sister, #7.